Tag: fentanyl
Richlands man charged in deadly fentanyl case in Onslow County

A Richlands man is facing serious charges after deputies say he sold fentanyl that led to a deadly overdose.
According to arrest warrants issued by the Onslow County Sheriffโs Office, 26-year-old Anthony Joseph Dupcza was arrested Wednesday, April 29. He is charged with felony death by distribution, possession with intent to manufacture, sell, and deliver a Schedule II controlled substance, as well as selling and delivering a Schedule II controlled substance.
Arrest warrants state the charges stem from an incident on March 31, 2025. Investigators allege Dupcza sold fentanyl to Taiye Reid, and that the ingestion of the drug resulted in Reidโs death.
Deputies also say Dupcza possessed fentanyl with the intent to sell or distribute it.
Dupcza is being held without bond at the Onslow County Jail. He is scheduled to appear in court on Thursday, April 30.
Advocates in NC say crisis isn’t over as new data shows sharp drop in fentanyl, overdose deaths
Read the original article on watch the video on the ABC11 News website.
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) — Fentanyl Awareness Day is being observed Wednesday with new data showing a decline in fentanyl-related deaths — and overall overdose deaths — across North Carolina.
An update from the NCDHHS shows overall overdose deaths in the state fell by 34% between 2023 and 2024, the first decline since 2019. Fentanyl-related deaths peaked at just over 3,300 in 2022 and have declined to fewer than 1,500 last year, according to state data from the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.
Advocates say the progress is a good sign — but they’re clear the fentanyl crisis is far from over.
“We now have over 20,000 fentanyl victims in North Carolina, and the families, the victims families have said enough,” Barb Walsh of Cary said.
Walsh lost her daughter, Sophia, to fentanyl in August 2021. Since then, she’s worked with lawmakers to push for changes and founded the Fentanyl Victims Network of North Carolina to help families navigating similar losses.
“So the deaths are still occurring and it may be less, but those families will not take any comfort in knowing that their loved one was not saved,” Walsh said.
That decline in fentanyl-related deaths is part of a broader drop in overdose deaths across the state. According to NCDHHS, overdose deaths involving all drugs fell from more than 4,400 in 2023 to fewer than 3,000 in 2024.
Walsh credited the progress in part to expanded access to naloxone, a drug used to reverse overdoses, and increased public awareness.
“They’re saying the word fentanyl out loud. They’re talking about the life naloxone. They’re elevating the public discussion about naloxone and fentanyl victims. Deaths More importantly, it is treating the victims and their families with dignity and respect,” she said.
Despite the improvement, Walsh said continued efforts are critical.
“It is not time yet to stop talking about trying to save lives together. The work the government is doing, the opioid settlement funds, law enforcement, district attorney’s harm reduction groups, public health, the families who have started nonprofits, all of you, all of us are needed in order to save lives,” she said.
State officials say counties showing the most progress are those using funds from a $1.4 billion opioid settlement, which requires adherence to specific guidelines and reporting standards to access the money.
While the latest data shows a significant decline, advocates say continued coordination across agencies and communities will be key to sustaining the progress.
Hampstead man accused of providing fentanyl that killed 18-year-old woman
HAMPSTEAD, N.C. (WECT) – A Hampstead man was arrested in March following the death of an 18-year-old woman from a suspected fentanyl overdose, according to the Pender County Sheriffโs Office (PCSO).
Daniel Blaine Joye was arrested for death by distribution on March 12 after he allegedly delivered fentanyl that resulted in a fatal overdose.

According to PCSO and available search warrants, deputies and EMS personnel responded to a residence on Mullein Drive in Hampstead on Feb. 27 after receiving a 911 call about an unconscious woman. The victim was identified as Shelby Slye of Hampstead.
A witness told dispatch she saw a man dragging a woman toward a car. The witness, a nursing student, began CPR on Slye.
Warrants state Joye told deputies he found Slye unresponsive but breathing and tried to get her into a car to take her to the hospital. He said he noticed blue discoloration around her lips and shallow breathing. Slye was transported to Novant Health New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington, where she was pronounced dead on Feb. 28.
Warrants also state Joye allegedly told deputies at the scene that Slye had a history of narcotics abuse and had consumed a fifth of liquor during the day. However, hospital employees later told detectives Slyeโs toxicology report showed no signs of alcohol use, according to records.
Detectives served a search warrant at the Mullein Drive residence on March 1. During the search, Joye was found in possession of fentanyl and was arrested. The fentanyl was packaged in wax paper bindles stamped โWe The Best.โ
A second search warrant led to the seizure of additional fentanyl packaged in the same bindles, empty bindles with the same stamp, marijuana, drug paraphernalia and cell phones belonging to Joye and Slye, according to records.
The warrant states a woman at the residence told detectives Joye routinely purchases fentanyl and other narcotics and provided fentanyl to Slye on a regular basis. Records state the woman said she believed Joye was Slyeโs source of illegal narcotics.
Detectives attended Slyeโs autopsy on March 3 at Onslow Memorial Hospital. The search warrant states presumptive fentanyl urine test showed a positive indication of fentanyl in Slyeโs urine.
On March 12, detectives secured additional charges against Joye related to the overdose death. Joye faces the following charges:
- Felony death by distribution
- Possess with intent to manufacture, sell, deliver Schedule II (three counts)
- Deliver Schedule II controlled substance
- Possession of Schedule II
- Maintain vehicle, dwelling, place, controlled substance
- Possession of drug paraphernalia (two counts)
Joye appeared in court on March 13. He was appointed a public defender and his bond was set at $125,000.
Pender County Sheriffโs Office arrested Daniel Blaine Joye for death by distribution
2 arrested in Lee County after drugs, gun found during traffic stop with kids inside car
Read the original article on the WRAL News website.
Deputies arrested Zachary Robert Shaw, 41, and Lakayla Chasity Davis, 28, during a traffic stop on Tuesday. Their arrest comes as deputies said narcotics agents were investigating citizen drug complaints on Deep River Road during the time of the traffic stop.

Two people were arrested in Lee County after deputies found drugs and a gun inside a car with three children in it during a traffic stop on Tuesday on Hawkins Avenue.
Deputies said narcotics agents were investigating citizen drug complaints on Deep River Road during the time of the traffic stop.
uring the stop, deputies said they found methamphetamine, drug paraphernalia and a gun in possession of a felon. Three children were also inside the car during the stop, deputies said.
Deputies arrested the two occupants in the car, Zachary Robert Shaw, 41, and Lakayla Chasity Davis, 28.
Shaw is charged with possession of a firearm by a felon and is being held without bond.
Davis is charged with felony possession of a schedule II-controlled substance, three counts of exposing a child to a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana up to half an ounce. She is being held on a $31,000 secured bond.
Deputies said both Shaw and Davis also had outstanding warrants for arrest out of Chatham County for larceny.
Lee County Sheriff’s Office NC Press Release
Additional Charges on Overdose Investigation
North Carolina’s backlogged autopsies delaying justice, prosecutors say
Read the original article and watch the video on the WRAL News website.
Despite funding increases and legislative support, North Carolinaโs Office of the Chief Medical Examiner remains backlogged due to a national shortage of pathologists and a surge in subpoenas requiring experts to testify in person.
Getting an autopsy report in North Carolina after someone dies can take months. Despite recent funding for the medical examinerโs office, prosecutors say the backlog of autopsies is slowing down justice.
Simply put, the stateโs medical examinerโs office is overloaded. A huge influx in funding helped. But whatโs straining the system isnโt the caseload now, itโs the courts.
Dorleen Richardson is waiting for an autopsy on her husband, Antony, who was killed by Johnston County deputies on Jan. 25 following a mental health crisis. Her garage is still riddled with bullet holes, reminding her of the day he died.
โHis feet were there, and his body was there,โ Richardson said pointing to the floor of her garage.
Continue reading “North Carolina’s backlogged autopsies delaying justice, prosecutors say”Drug dealer linked to fentanyl OD death gets 10+ years in prison after Raleigh, Franklin County raids, Feds say
Read the original article on the CBS17 News website.
RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) โ A โprolificโ Franklin County fentanyl dealer who was linked to a drug death and fentanyl marketed to children was sentenced to at least 10 years in federal prison this week, federal prosecutors said Friday.
Ahmod Talley was arrested in June 2025 after he was pulled over and found with โperversely labeledโ fentanyl with terms like โTry Thisโ and โLife Support,โ a U.S. Attorneyโs Office, Eastern District of North Carolina news release said.

Talley sold fentanyl to the overdose victim just three days before the death, and the โTry Thisโ stamped fentanyl was also found at the overdose death scene, the news release said.
Later, Raleigh and Franklinton raids of Talleyโs home and his grandmotherโs house led to the discovery of guns and fentanyl โmarketed at childrenโ stamped โGoosebumps,โ prosecutors said.
โThis sentence sends a message, understand clearly: when you sell deadly poison to our kids and families just to make a little bit of money, you will pay serious consequences,โ U.S. Attorney Ellis Boyle said in the news release.
In addition to fentanyl, prosecutors said raids of homes in Raleigh and Franklinton discovered cocaine, heroin, and marijuana.
A federal order along with Talleyโs conviction also said officials would seize guns, including:
- Glock 23 pistol
- Kahr P380 pistol
- Delton 5.56 rifle
- All ammo associated with each firearm
Talleyโs guns and drugs were found in homes in Franklinton and Raleigh in mid-January 2025, according to an order of forfeiture in a plea deal with the prosecution.
As part of a plea agreement, officials said Talley pleaded guilty to:
- conspiracy to sell and possess with the intent to sell heroin, fentanyl, and cocaine
- possession with intent to sell heroin and fentanyl
- possession with intent to sell cocaine
- two counts of possession of a gun in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime
โThis prolific drug dealer earned every day of his prison sentence, and the residents of Eastern North Carolina will be safer while heโs locked up,โ Boyle said in the release.
The Franklin County Sheriffโs Office and Homeland Security Investigations worked on the investigation into Talley, the news release said.
Chief U.S. District Judge Richard E. Myers II sentenced Talley in the case on Tuesday. Court officials recommended that Talley serve time at the Federal Prison in Butner.
