An Aurora man has been sentenced to prison following a fatal fentanyl overdose and narcotics investigation, according to the Beaufort County District Attorney’s Office.
Tyran Dixon pleaded guilty on Aug. 12 to death by distribution, trafficking in fentanyl, trafficking in methamphetamine and possession of drug paraphernalia. He also admitted to violating probation, according to the Beaufort County DA’s office.
The case stems from the December 2023 death of 24-year-old Jaquan Cannon. The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office found Cannon unresponsive inside a vehicle on Peedtown Road in Aurora. The Beaufort County DA’s office said a toxicology report determined he died from acute fentanyl toxicity.
Investigators determined Cannon arranged to purchase fentanyl from Dixon the night before his death, according to the district attorney’s office. In May 2024, a search of Dixon’s Aurora residence uncovered trafficking amounts of fentanyl and methamphetamine.
Superior Court Judge Seth Edwards sentenced Dixon to 110 to 144 months for death by distribution, 90 to 120 months for fentanyl trafficking and 70 to 93 months for methamphetamine trafficking. Those sentences will run concurrently.
The Beaufort County DA’s office said that Dixon has to serve at least 110 months, or 9 years and 2 months, before becoming eligible for release. That sentence will begin after Dixon serves an additional 10 to 21 months for his probation violation.
BEAUFORT COUNTY, N.C. (WITN) – An Aurora man will spend the next 12 years in state prison after his guilty plea in a drug overdose death case.
Beaufort County District Attorney Tom Anglim says Tyran Dixon pleaded guilty to death by distribution, trafficking in fentanyl, trafficking in methamphetamine, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
The man also admitted to violating terms of a probationary sentence he was serving when the death happened.
Jaquan Cannon was found dead on December 11, 2023 inside a vehicle on Peedtown Road outside of Aurora.
Anglim says their investigation showed that Cannon bought fentanyl from Dixon the day before he died.
Judge Seth Edwards sentenced Dixon to serve between 9 years, 2 months and 12 years on the death and drug charges, and between 10 months and a year, 9 months for the probation violation.
The judge also ordered Dixon to pay a $750,000 fine and restitution to Cannon’s family.
Data from the Department of Health and Human Services shows midway through 2026, North Carolina is seeing a 27% reduction of reported opioid overdoses across state emergency departments.
Between January and June, to include six months of DHHS data, there are 2,031 reported opioid overdoses in the state. That’s down by more than 700 overdoses compared to the same period of time last year.
Illicit opioids, which includes fentanyl, make up more than half of the emergency department visits in the state.
This comes six months after WRAL reported that North Carolina, as a state, saw another consecutive year of declining opioid and fentanyl overdose numbers. An analysis of state health data showed that opioid overdose hospitalizations had decreased by more than 20% in the last year, marking two consecutive years of declining emergency department visits in North Carolina. The same data source shows similar trends for fentanyl positive deaths, which decreased by 24% in the last year.
Even still, local police departments are issuing public safety notices about localized spikes in suspected fentanyl.
In Fayetteville, policer offers report an increase of overdoses believed to be caused by fentanyl in the local community.
“The increase has prompted concern that particularly potent or contaminated illegal drugs may currently be circulating in the Fayetteville area,” a spokesperson for the department said.
This rare spike comes as Cumberland County is experiencing a drastic reduction in overdoses reported to hospitals. Monthly DHHS data shows there are 33 reported cases so far this year, down from 95 over the same window of time last year.
Illicit opioids, which includes fentanyl, make up more than half of the emergency department visits in the state.
This comes six months after WRAL reported that North Carolina, as a state, saw another consecutive year of declining opioid and fentanyl overdose numbers. An analysis of state health data showed that opioid overdose hospitalizations had decreased by more than 20% in the last year, marking two consecutive years of declining emergency department visits in North Carolina. The same data source shows similar trends for fentanyl positive deaths, which decreased by 24% in the last year.
Even still, local police departments are issuing public safety notices about localized spikes in suspected fentanyl.
In Fayetteville, policer offers report an increase of overdoses believed to be caused by fentanyl in the local community.
“The increase has prompted concern that particularly potent or contaminated illegal drugs may currently be circulating in the Fayetteville area,” a spokesperson for the department said.
This rare spike comes as Cumberland County is experiencing a drastic reduction in overdoses reported to hospitals. Monthly DHHS data shows there are 33 reported cases so far this year, down from 95 over the same window of time last year.
By the numbers: Hospitalizations, deaths track down
Statewide, North Carolina recorded 4,960 emergency department visits related to opioid overdoses in 2025. That marks a 21% decrease in the last year, and a 48% decrease since 2023 when the state recorded a record number of 9,624.
In total, overdose emergency department visits decreased by 14% between 2024 and 2025. Last year’s 10,627 cases still mark a 43% reduction since 2023.
Total Overdose Emergency Department visits
WRAL analyzed data across the Raleigh area, including the North Carolina counties that surround the capital city. Eight counties did not offer county-level reporting. The year-over-year data revealed that rural counties are among those that have seen the largest gains in opioid hospitalization reduction from a per capita standpoint.
“Since the spike stream of the pandemic, we’re following national trends and exceeding national trends. Not only state but county-level data,” Dr. Kelly Crosbie says, Director of DHHS’ Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities, and Substance Use Services
NASH COUNTY, N.C. (WNCT) — A man has been arrested on a charge of death by distribution following the June 15, 2026, cardiac arrest death of a 17-year-old male in Nashville.
Dillon Davis
According to a press release, on June 15, 2026, the Nash County Sheriff’s Office responded to the Nashville area in reference to a cardiac arrest involving a 17-year-old male, who was later pronounced deceased at the scene.
Authorities said the investigation ultimately led to the arrest of Dillion Blake Davis on a charge of Death by Distribution.
On August 11, 2026, authorities executed a search warrant at 5603 Sandy Road, where they discovered additional illegal narcotics.
Authorities also said Davis received a $250,000 secured bond and his first court appearance was set for August 13th, 2026. During his First appearance Davis Bond was increased to $1,000,000 secured.
The Nash County Sheriff’s Office maintains an active investigation into the incident.
Sheriff Stone stated, “We will continue to fight the poison that is filtering into our county. We will also continue our fight against guns, gangs, and drugs to protect the citizens of Nash County and keep our communities safe. Those who choose to distribute these deadly substances will be held accountable for their actions.”
NASH COUNTY, N.C. (WITN) – Nash County deputies have arrested a man after a teenager was found dead from an overdose.
Dillon Davis
On June 15, deputies said they were called to a report of cardiac arrest near Nashville, where a 17-year-old boy was found dead.Deputies searched a home on Sandy Road on Tuesday, where they seized illegal drugs.Dillion Davis was charged with death by distribution. He was given a $1,000,000 secured bond.
A Nash County man is charged with death by distribution, after allegedly selling him fentanyl. A 17-year-old died from the drug. His bond was increased from $250,000 to $1 million during his first court appearance Thursday.
Dillon Davis
A Nash County man has been charged with the death of a 17-year-old after he sold him drugs.
Deputies with the Nash County Sheriff’s Office said the teenager died after taking fentanyl and going into cardiac arrest on June 15.
The sheriff’s office began investigating the teen’s death, which led to the arrest of Dillon Davis of Nashville. Davis is charged with felony death by distribution.
Nash County Sheriff Keith Stone said investigators will continue working to stop the distribution of drugs in the county.
“We will continue to fight the poison that is filtering into our county,” Stone said in a release. “Those who choose to distribute these deadly substances will be held accountable for their actions.”
The sheriff’s office said the case remains active and additional charges are possible as the investigation continues.
Davis was initially given a $250,000 secured bond. During his first court appearance Thursday, his bond was increased to $1 million.
A Havelock man has been charged with felony death by distribution following an investigation into the fatal drug overdose of a New Bern woman, according to the Craven County Sheriff’s Office.
Thomas John Fogle Jr.
The sheriff’s office said its Criminal Investigation Bureau charged Thomas John Fogle Jr., 38, of Derrick Circle, on July 30. Deputies said the charge is related to the overdose death of 32-year-old Amber Ryan of New Bern.
According to the sheriff’s office, investigators determined Fogle sold illegal narcotics to Ryan. Deputies said Ryan’s autopsy report confirmed her cause of death was a drug overdose.
The sheriff’s office said Fogle was already in custody when he was charged with felony death by distribution.
At the time, Fogle was in custody on several other charges, including:
Trafficking methamphetamine, two felony counts
Possession with intent to manufacture, sell and deliver a Schedule II controlled substance, two felony counts
Selling a Schedule II controlled substance
Delivering a Schedule II controlled substance
Possession with intent to sell and deliver marijuana
Possession of a Schedule II controlled substance
Possession of methamphetamine
Possession of a firearm by a convicted felon
Altering or removing a gun serial number
Possession of drug paraphernalia
Fogle is being held at the Craven County Confinement Facility under no bond.
WILLIAMSTON, N.C. (WNCT) — Two people were charged after a traffic stop near the intersection of Technology Blvd. and U.S. Highway 64 Wednesday, May 7, 2025.
Law enforcement officers said they smelled an odor of marijuana and saw evidence in plain view of controlled substances.
Deputies with the Martin County Sheriff’s Office responded and searched the vehicle. The search found 37 grams of fentanyl, digital scales and about $700.
Tineshia Latrice Brown
Donta Antwan Valentine, 41, of Windsor, was charged with:
Trafficking opium by transportation
Trafficking opium by possession
Possession with intent to manufacture, sell or deliver a controlled substance
Substances within 1,000 feet of a school
Possession with intent to manufacture, sell or deliver a schedule II controlled substance
Possession of drug paraphernalia
Valentine was jailed without bond for 48 hours.
Tineshia Latrice Brown, 34, of Lewiston-Woodville, was charged with:
Trafficking opium by transportation
Trafficking opium by possession
Possession with intent to manufacture, sell or deliver a controlled substance within 1,000 feet of a school
Possession with intent to manufacture, sell or deliver a schedule II controlled substance
MARTIN COUNTY, N.C. (WNCT) — Law enforcement officers with the Martin County Sheriff’s Office arrested a suspect connected to a fatal overdose from May.
On May 23, deputies arrived at Tammy Lane in Williamston to assist with reports of an overdose. Deputies found the individual deceased, prompting an investigation.
Investigators determined that Donta Antwan Valentine was involved in delivering the drugs to the victim before their death.
On July 22, law enforcement arrested Valentine at a Williamston motel. Detectives searched his room and reported that they found more than 100 grams of methamphetamine along with digital scales.
A Martin County magistrate revealed that Valentine was already on pre-trial release at the time of his arrest. Valentine was taken to the Catawba County Detention Facility, where he is being held without bond on one case and under a $2 million secured bond on a second.
“The distribution of illegal narcotics continues to devastate families and communities across our state. Those who choose to profit from selling these deadly substances must understand that they will be held accountable for their actions. I commend Lieutenant Roebuck, Agent Raynor, Sergeant Harrell, Deputy Murphy, and everyone involved in this investigation for their professionalism, dedication, and tireless efforts,” said Sheriff Drew Robinson. “The Martin County Sheriff’s Office remains committed to aggressively investigating overdose deaths, holding drug dealers accountable, and doing everything within our power to protect the citizens of Martin County.”
Williamston, NC — A Martin County man is facing charges in connection with a fatal overdose investigation after deputies say he allegedly supplied the drugs that led to a person’s death.
The investigation began on May 23, 2026, when deputies with the Martin County Sheriff’s Office responded to Tammy Lane in the Williamston area for a reported overdose.
According to the sheriff’s office, deputies found a person dead at the scene. Investigators said evidence collected during the initial investigation indicated the death was caused by a drug overdose.
Lieutenant Roebuck led the investigation, which included reviewing physical and digital evidence and executing multiple search warrants. Investigators ultimately identified Donta Antwan Valentine, 43, as the person who allegedly delivered the controlled substance that resulted in the victim’s death.
On July 22, Narcotics Agent Brandon Raynor and Sergeant Justin Harrell located Valentine at a motel in Williamston and arrested him without incident.
Deputies then executed a search warrant at the motel room, where they said they seized more than 100 grams of methamphetamine and digital scales commonly associated with drug distribution.
Authorities said Valentine was already on pre-trial release at the time of his arrest. A Martin County magistrate ordered him held without bond on one case. He is also being held under a $2 million secured bond on a separate case.
Valentine is currently being held at the Catawba County Detention Facility.
In a statement, Sheriff Drew Robinson said the sheriff’s office remains committed to aggressively investigating overdose deaths and holding drug dealers accountable.