This article is related to obtaining call logs from AT&T Wireless. Other carriers will have a similar process and the steps outlined below can be used as a guide. However, each carrier is different and the exact steps and data available is unlikely to be the same.
Note: This is NOT the same as the Call Detail Records which include geo-location data and other information. CDR is only available from the mobile phone operator.
What is available from AT&T in the form of call or text logs?
The call and text logs available from AT&T will only contain records of actual phone calls (voice) and text messages (SMS, MMS) sent over the AT&T network. This means any other form of communication available from a modern Smart Phone, Android or iOS, such as iMessage, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Telegram, and other similar communications platforms, will not be available from the AT&T call log.
Because it is so common among iPhone users, the call log data for an iPhone user communicating with another iPhone user will never show anything other than generic data usage for any of the following:
- FaceTime Audio
On an iPhone, there is no call or text detail available for anything communicated via iMessage (“blue” messages). Even when not on WiFi, iMessage data is still recorded by AT&T generic data usage. A text or SMS message will be classified as such.
How to access AT&T Call and Text logs from the AT&T Wireless web site
AT&T used to include the call log detail as part of the monthly phone bill but stopped doing that roughly three years ago. Their customers complained about getting phone bills which were several hundred pages long and it was costing AT&T quite a bit of money to print them.
However, the data is still available as “Usage” from the AT&T Wireless web site. As of this writing (Jan 21, 2022), AT&T offers ~18 months of call log history.
Step 1: Login to the AT&T web site and choose “Bill”.
- Login using credentials for att.com.
- Click on the “Bill” icon.
- Click on “See usage details”.
Step 2: Choose the calendar period to show usage period of interest:
- Click the drop down menu
- Choose the billing period for the usage detail
Step 3: Select the “View more usage details and options” for the line of interest
- Click on the “View more usage details and options” link
- Click on the “See data, text, and talk logs” link.
Step 4: Review and optionally download usage detail
- Choose from “Text”, “Talk”, or “Data” – each report is separate, there is no option for a combined report.
- This shows the data of the voice call.
- This shows the time of the voice call.
- This shows the number called for outgoing calls, the calling number for incoming calls. There is a small icon which indicates if a call is incoming or outgoing.
- Print the report or save it to a PDF file.
- Download the details either as a CSV or Excel file.